Sunday, February 21, 2010

Why rebuke him who loves you so?

Yesterday was a very Shakespearean day. I finished two movies, and both-- well, yeah, Shakespeare.

So, the first one was Macbeth, the 2006 Australian version. Side note, it was cool to hear Sam Worthington's real accent. I mean, I knew he was Australian, and you could hear his accent in the Avatar movie (I only really noticed it in the voice-over scenes, truth be told). Anyway, I liked it. It was enjoyable to watch. Though I could have done without Macbeth being seduced by the three witches. Really. And would it really be so hard for the lovely ladies of the film to, I dunno, put on a shirt or something? It seemed kinda pointless for the witches to go a whole scene without a stitch of clothing. I'm not a prude, but it got kinda akward. But all in all, I really liked it! I know I will never be able to read Macbeth again without imagining the characters to have Australian accents. It's weird. I know that Macbeth is Scottish, but up until this point, I never imagined him in anything stronger than an English accent. Ooh, and I really liked who played Lady Macbeth, she reminded me of a Dracula's bride of some sort. She seemed evil. And I liked how the three witches were school girls. Liked their hair. It was somehow so much creepier when they did their whole Weird Sisters act, somehow much more scary because they were young. If they had been hags, it might not have been so bone chilling. So yeah. Liked Sam Worthington as Macbeth, though he had a terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE, wardrobe throughout the whole thing. We're talking really hideous clothing here, people. Ugh. Anyhow, throughout the whole movie, cause Macbeth looked like he did, I kept sympathizing with him. So yeah. I enjoyed watching it. Although the stabbing scene? I wouldn't mind if they kept only like three minutes of the sequence rather than a freakin' eight-hour-why-won't-he-die-pain session. But I still don't regret watching the movie.

The other movie I watched was Were The World Mine. It was a musical, although somehow I have a hard time thinking of it as a musical. The "Were the World Mine" song, I loved, I really did. It was amazing, very catchy (a couple more hours of it circling in my head, and I'm sure it will get annoying. Eventually.) and if you check (I did, with the help of a YouTube video) EVERY SINGLE ONE of the lyrics is from A Midsummer Night's Dream! Bottom's lines, Helena's, Demetrius, EVERY word in that song is from the play! And the one part ("and make a heaven of hell...") is SO cemented in my head. It flows so so well. So I loved that song. But the rest of the songs not so much. The drama teacher's voice was painful. I liked the Frankie girl's voice. But other than that, the movie didn't have so much SONGS as it did have people just putting a sentence to a tune. But onto the movie! I thought it was fun. It was funny at times, yeah, and yeah. I dunno. I really did enjoy watching it, but I can't tell you exactly why. Just the whole effect of the movie, I suppose. The main character, Timothy, was excellent, and it was just fun to watch. Enjoyed it.

And yeah. Fun yesterday.

No comments: